Monday, June 8, 2009

coincidence???

First, a couple of things, recent comments people have left on this blog. This first from a few weeks ago.

I would say the verse from roman's you quoted was describing a time before the Bible was together - the hearing there was not hearing the Bible.

And, if you are some how suggesting that faith starts with the Bible, then I might suggest that your faith is really in the Bible and I implore you to put your faith in God.


And this recent one, from this past weekend.

oh good grief, Jazzact. You never change.

Simple question for you: Is *scripture* the *source* of your salvation? If you answer yes you are an idolater. If you answer no than you are in agreement with Blake on this more than you care to admit.


It was in thinking about how to respond to this last one that I remembered the first, and it was in think of that that I noticed that there seems to be some parallels in their thinking--the implication and accusation that I (and likely by extension, all like me) have faith in the Bible rather than in God.

Which leads me to wonder if this is emergent's new tack, to accuse those who believe in the inspiration, infallibility, and authority of the Bible of having faith in the Bible rather than in God.

I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, or how they have responded, but if this is as new to you as it was to me, here's the deal--it's an absolutely asenine argument, not worthy of these people's supposed intelligence to be making, and they should know better.

I have faith in God's Word because I have faith in God. I don't make some kind of stupid distinction which says "I believe in God, so I can not believe what He has said". We tell people what the Bible says so that they know what God said, so they have in Him that is more than a mere vague assent to a new-agey warm fuzzy.

I don't play the "Bible is a man-made construct" because it isn't--it is the divinely inspired Word of God.

2 Peter 1
"19And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.


To my mind, I see no reason to answer the accusations in the above quotes from (I suppose) emergent commentors here; rather, they and emergents as a whole should answer to how they play fast-and-loose with Scripture, trying to make it fit their own pre-conceived notions and either discarding or openly opposing it's moral teachings.

No comments: