Thursday, April 30, 2009

another lib gets it wrong (no surprise)

In Oklahoma, the more overtly "Christian" politicians claim to be, the more likely they are to pass mean-spirited legislation, especially in regard to our treatment of the strange.
Robin R Meyers, Saving Jesus from the Church, pp.121-122


At least Meyer than goes on to explain what he means, at least in part, in the next sentence.

Anti-immigrant and English-only fever is running high, all in the name of Jesus.
p. 122


As you could imagine, even assume, the liberal 'christian' makes a misrepresentation in the above.

Conservatives like myself are not "anti-immigrant". Far from it, we are very welcoming of people from other countries and nationalities, and have much respect for them. What we are against is "illegal immigration"--people entering the US in an illegal manner.

I have been overseas several times, and every time I have done so, I have respected and abode by the rules of those countries for obtaining visas and entering the countries.

There is nothing unloving or unreasonable about expecting immigrants to abide by the rules of immigration.

English-only rules are not "mean-spirited" either. I lived in Russia for a few years, and in that time I accepted the expectation the I needed to learn to gain some measure of skill at speaking the Russian language. And I did gain it--certainly not mastery, and no doubt those skills have atrophied in the years since I left and have not needed to use them, but after a while I was able to get around. I was also fortunate enough to know several Russian people who knew English, but it would have been completely unreasonable to me to expect Russians to learn English simply because I wasn't really quick at picking up their language, and them speaking their own language was a major inconvenience for me.

Why? Because I was in their country, in their house. They had every reason and right to expect me to abide by their own rules, among them to learn their language, especially since I was there for a while. That some spoke English with me and even helped at times in translating was an act of grace and mercy on their parts, not something I should have demanded.

Perhaps English-only laws could be too invasive, though I've not heard of any being so, but there is nothing wrong with having people in an English-speaking country being told that they needed to communicate in English with a good degree of skill. If anything, it's unloving to NOT do so, because it restricts them and their abilities to make it US society.

No comments: