Friday, April 3, 2009

he believes in...what? who???

ht a little leaven

Church authorities not to discipline Dutch 'atheist' pastor

The church authorities said disciplinary proceedings against Hendrikse, who is a pastor of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, would be likely to lead to, "a protracted discussion about the meanings of words that in the end will produce little clarity". The letter also noted that people have debated the issue of "God's existence" throughout time.

Hendrikse gained attention with his book published in November 2007, in which he said that it was not necessary to believe in God's existence in order to believe in "God". The Dutch title of the book translates as, "Believing in a God who does not exist: manifesto of an atheist pastor".

In his book, Hendrikse recounts how his conviction that God does not exist has become stronger over the years.

"The non-existence of God is for me not an obstacle but a precondition to believing in God. I am an atheist believer," Hendrikse writes in the book. "God is for me not a being but a word for what can happen between people. Someone says to you, for example, 'I will not abandon you', and then makes those words come true. It would be perfectly alright to call that [relationship] God."


I can think of few things that more perfectly show what nonsense the postmodern virus is producing. I want to try something that may show how ridiculous his statement is.

"The non-existence of Santa is for me not an obstacle but a precondition to believing in Santa. I am an atheist believer,"..."Santa is for me not a being but a word for what can happen between people. Someone says to you, for example, 'I will not abandon you', and then makes those words come true. It would be perfectly alright to call that [relationship] Santa."


And that's all it is. One could insert any word in there, and it would work.

"The non-existence of is is for me not an obstacle but a precondition to believing in is I am an atheist believer,"..."Is is for me not a being but a word for what can happen between people. Someone says to you, for example, 'I will not abandon you', and then makes those words come true. It would be perfectly alright to call that [relationship] is."


I doubt even the Seinfeld comedy could have come up with a statement so clearly about nothing.

No comments: